Strategies taken to avoid or minimise environmental impacts can include the following:
- Avoiding the impact by not taking a certain action
- Minimising the impacts by limiting the degree or magnitude of the action
- Rectifying the impact of the action by repairing or restoring the affected environment
- Reducing the impact by taking protective steps during the action
- Compensating for the impact by replacing or providing substitute resources
The video presentation on the right was used for a community workshop on the Moreton Bay Rail Project in the Moreton Region and outlines the basic fundamentals of environmental mitigation.